Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Wish It Were a Cute Little Alien...



My home is in a state of chaos and reconstruction. A little leak from my ice maker in my island went unnoticed over a few months because it was trapped under my island. There a forest of mold grew happily "with the best environment" undetected until I started to smell something. That's a really bad sign, by the way! What I thought would be an ice maker repair turned into Pandora's box. With each person called to come check it out, I got worse and worse news. They needed to remove my granite and try not to break it. If they broke it, then I would have to replace all of my granite. I just figured with everything else that was going wrong they would break it. Oh that darn pessimistic attitude I've tried exorcise! But they DID NOT break it! Hooray! However, my island is completely torn out and the basement ceiling is torn down. These photos are of the kitchen containment area. I wish I would have taken photos of the guys in white suits with masks and the hoses coming out my door into vans - it looked like a smaller version of the "ET containment area". Every surface had to be hepa vacuumed (whatever that means) and sprayed with sporicide. Then we had the "industrial hygienist" (code word for goofy Icabod Cranish microbiologist) come back and test again. THANK HEAVENS WE PASSED!
The worst part has been the comings and goings of construction workers. I realized just how vulnerable I am being at home alone during the day. Our home owner's insurance is covering everything except the ice maker repair - I thought that was funny! We've been told, however, that they will be suing whoever they deem responsible - plumber & home builder or ice maker manufacturer.
Someone has got to take the blame, right? It can't ever be the CRAP HAPPENS! I should be repaired by next week and B's teaching me some self defense moves. Phew!

2 comments:

White's said...

E...T....phone home???

suzanne campbell said...

Oh my gosh how awful for you guys and thank goodness for insurance love Suzanne