Sunday, October 18, 2009

I Believe in Reincarnation!







Okay, so hear me out.......For those of you who have known B and I since we got married, this story is old news to you. For those who haven't I'll give you a brief synopsis......
B has an unbelievable ability to keep dogs alive for much longer than they should be. When we got married he had this dog named Kizzy. She looked like a black golden retriever. I think she was 15 when we got married and I'm pretty sure she stayed alive this long in order to TORTURE me. She couldn't hear, had horrible fleas (in CA), disgusting tumors all over her, stunk to high heaven and found ways to get in the house. She leaned against the walls to walk and left a gross greasy black line along each one. I could not scrub it off with anything! She pushed through the screen door at night in order to sleep next to our bed and I would wake up smelling her. 20 years later and I can smell her like it was yesterday. She lived until around 17 yrs old and died one month after we bought our own house and left her with B's brother Jeff. I don't think that was a coincidence. B & Jeff made sure that she tormented me up until her body was buried in the Santa Monica mountains at 4 am......that's another story for another time. I used to say that Jeff would never get married until Kizzy died because NO ONE could stand her. And he started dating Christina 6 months later. She has no idea how lucky she is!

Flash forward 3 years when we moved to UT and decided to get our own dog. I wanted a really cute younger pup and B said he felt like Roxie was the one, she was a little older. Since he is the dog lover, I let him decide. I should have figured it out 15 years ago..........Roxie is Kizzy.

Here are my reasons: 1.They both are completely neurotic during storms and fireworks 2. Even though they are outside dogs, they think it's their right to bolt into the house anytime they please 3. They both can open doors to let themselves into the house 4. They both destroy doors 5. They live to ruin my sleep. 6. They are both determined to TORTURE me. 7. They both have disgusting tumors in their old age. 8. They are both deaf in their old age. 9.Roxie has the same longevity, she is 15!

Last Monday was a particularly trying night for me. There was a storm and Roxie did a total number on my door before I woke up and kenneled her. I could not go back to sleep and I laid there planning my visit to the vet to have her teeth pulled out and her front paws declawed. Pure fantasy, of course, because my husband is Dr. Doolittle and would never let me put her through it. The next morning, let me just say I used up my quota of swear words for the year (the kids were still asleep, I ranted for B only).

I have a list of books that I want to read that are highly rated on GoodReads - some I know nothing about but if it's available at the library, I check it out. Later that day, I started a new book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain". It is a novel narrated by a dog. Yes, a dog! I couldn't help but see the irony in this. In the book, he talks about how he is ready to be human after he is reincarnated. He tells a story of a Mongolian documentary about "Dog's souls leaving their body waiting to be reincarnated into another body when it is time". But some dogs just remain dogs and keep coming back as dogs. (I don't buy the becoming human part) Of course, that dog only lived to 10..... There you have it! Kizzy's soul just waited around to enter Roxie's body!


So I ask, "What is my lesson in this?" I myself will NEVER get another dog. She can't take over Lucy or Izzie's body - so if I don't ever get another one, I am safe! However, I am worried about my posterity. Esp. my boys who don't like dogs either. My girls are like B, they LOVE dogs. D and Mr. T will need to watch out and not marry anyone who is a dog lover in order to be safe. That is why I am blogging about this.......help me keep them safe!
In my new house, Roxie can see into my kitchen. Her life consists of WATCHING me (so creepy that I can hardly explain. I call her CUJO), pooping, eating and sleeping - with a frequent freak out chewing the crap out of my no longer beautiful wood doors. I am sure she will live at least 2 to 3 more years and eventually chew all the way through the door. Lord, help me!

1 comment:

MSorenson said...

Roxie is such a beast! I still haven't forgiven her for eating the bathroom when I was watching the house!