Sunday, March 7, 2010

Not Sure if Nietzsche Was Correct?


I sometimes wonder if what doesn't kill you makes you stronger or if sometimes you just need a good dose of humiliation every so often? This has been one of those weeks for me.  But what I can say is I've learned from at least one of them.  My running friend, Sharon, went out of town so I planned to run outside with a couple other girls from the gym.  Just because they are around the same height as me, one is a bit older and the other a bit younger, I falsely assumed they ran at the same pace as me.  Oh how wrong I was!  We planned to run 6 miles and they took off at what for me was a sprint!  First I thought they'd eventually slow down, as they didn't I began to wonder is it ego or competitive nature or what?? BUT I tried my best to keep up for about 4 miles before I gave in to my slower speed.  AND SO I came home with a foot injury and a good dose of humiliation.  I can say it did NOT make me stronger but it did teach me to recognize my limits.  A few days of icing my injury and some ibuprofen, I am on the mend.  I also realized I really like running and was very depressed to take a few days off.   


On Saturday, we had our 2nd piano recital. Ari played "Coming Round The Mountain" by memory and with a little bit of her own style without a mistake or any fear.
Lelu played "Spanish Fiesta" perfectly without a single missed note and even changed it up a bit with playing at 2 different octaves.
B was in charge of the camera when I performed and he was so mesmerized by my brilliance he forgot to snap a photo during it (in my fantasy world)- so D caught one afterwards.  While I was a proud mommy,  I knew I practiced far more than my girls did and I know "Viva La Vida" in my freakin' sleep, but once I got up there my brain and bodily functions belonged to fear. After I was done my hands were shaking like a drug addict in serious withdrawal!   I asked my teacher afterwards how many mistakes I made and she said "I didn't keep track, you did great." That's why I like her so much BTW.  But leave it D - He held up 4 fingers and said "4 mistakes, mom.  I counted".  Thanks Pal!
Glad it's over for another 6 months.

No comments: