Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shopping & Star Stalking in LA; Boy's Night At My House

This is Katie, one of the American Idol top 9.  She and her Dad were really nice but after they gave us the scoop on on the judges (Ellen is a deer caught in the headlights and is about as qualified as you or I to judge, Kara is full of herself and Simon is by far the nicest and most helpful and genuine to all the contestants) and we snapped a bunch of photos - I jokingly said we were really tabloid reporters and the poor Dad looked truly freaked out.  I kept saying just kidding but they stopped being friendly and left.  I feel kind of bad.
  A few days after our half marathon I went to CA with 2 good friends to help them shop for their boutique.  The actual shopping part is a definite acquired taste.  We go to downtown LA fashion district, walk and walk around looking at racks and racks of clothes in little tiny old shops and try to negotiate a good price for stuff from a variety of foreigners.  It's dirty, hot and a little bit scary and not like mall shopping. Usually it's a very quick trip in and out, but this time they decided to make it a little less rushed and stay 4 days.  At night, we would go out to dinner or up to a movie in Beverly Hills where Kelly & I would star search.  Amy doesn't pay attention to who anybody is, but Kelly and I look at every face.  It's become kind of a game. This year we saw 3 "has beens", 1 "will be" and 1"star".  Believe me I understand how lame and shallow it is - but I rather enjoy it anyway.  

While I was gone, B told me he was having a bunch of his jiu jitsu buddies come over to watch the Ultimate Fighting match on TV - I laughed and said "haha you're funny".  In 21 years, he has teased me to the point of 'crying wolf' and I tend not to believe anything remotely shocking or out of character in any way.  But he was serious and sure enough when I got home late Saturday night he and 4 guys that looked to be in their 20's had a guys night complete with "wings" (never eaten wings in my life!) and were even talking about having a match in the backyard. (And he even cleaned the house before they came over) What?? I know you are all as shocked as I was - but he really loves this fighting/testosterone/wrestling/bloody/bruised new sport.  I guess if he can support my shopping that goes against his very nature - I can accept this base ridiculous immature manly pursuit. Isn't that what marriage is all about?

No comments: